Friday, December 21, 2007

NOTE: I'm starting a funny way of writing, just as an experiment. Instead of backspacing, I'll strikethrough everything that I would have erased, thereby allowing me to gain greater insight into my writing process.

Guess what book this is from (bold emphasis added):

"In Christian marriage the man is said
to be the "head." Two questions obviously arise here, (1) Why should there
be a head at all -why not equality? (2) Why should it be the man?

...

why the man? Well, firstly,
is there any
very serious wish that it should be the woman
? As I have said, I am not
married myself, but as far as 1 can see,
even a woman who wants to be the
head of her own house does not usually admire the same state of things when
she finds it going on next door. She is much more likely to say "Poor Mr. X!
Why he allows that appalling woman to boss him about the way she does is
more than I can imagine."
I do not think she is even very nattered if anyone
mentions the fact of her own "headship."
There must be something unnatural
about the rule of wives over husbands, because the wives themselves are half
ashamed of it and despise the husbands whom they rule.


Uhhhh.......yeah, sure.....



=============================================================================

It's from C.S. Lewis' book, Mere Christianity. I think there's a reason why he was a bachelor, lol! Seriously, I was expecting a book that explained Christian doctrine in a clear and logical (or just THEOlogical, pun intended) manner, but this book left me in utter disgust. I don't know if I can
read
enjoy Chronicles of Narnia the same way again. He's *SO* dogmatic and doesn't explain the assumptions he makes, just recites them as if they are as obviously true to everyone else as they are to him.

In short, if you are a non-Christian who wants to read about the positive side of the faith, then I would suggest a less sexist, homophobic, unclear book.

No comments: